31 May 2009

I scream... You scream...

We all scream for ice cream!

Did you know that for a multiple pregnancy 1 cup of ice cream is considered a valid serving of dairy?
When you need 8 servings of dairy a day and you're pregnant in the summer this is FANTASTIC news. Did I mention I've never really cared for ice cream prior to the twins?

It's the beginning of stone fruit season. And the first stone fruit to become available at the grocery stores is my favorite: Cherries! We buy two or three bags to pit and freeze when they are 2.99 a pound. Cherry pie on demand... mmm. So in honor of these two momentous occasions I had a creative celebration.

Cherry Amaretto Ice Cream!


  • 1 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1-2 cups pitted cherries
  • 1 pint whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon real almond extract
  • 3 drops red food coloring (if desired)
  • 1 drop blue food coloring (if desired)
  • some sliced almonds might be nice too!
  1. Run the sugar milk and pitted cherries through the blender to combine (nuts if you added them too!).
  2. Add almond extract and whipping cream, and food coloring (if using). Put through the blender on stir setting for no more than a few seconds.
  3. Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.
  4. Enjoy in your favorite teacups (so it lasts longer than a day!)
Recipe adapted from Pleasant View Schoolhouse's basic vanilla recipe.

P.S. My husband started a hysterical blog today for your kicks and giggles. Hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

Sew Little Fabric said...

oops I was going to email you a little pressie, but I can't find your email address. Maybe you could let me know and I'll send you a PDF.

I've just been reading your ice cream post and thats really funny because I'm normally intolerant of Dairy, yet when I'm pregnant or breast feeding, I can't get enough of it. Unfortunately It gets worse once I'm breast feeding :) I have a constant supply of Roast almond chocolate in my draws and ice creams in the freezer. hehe
Paula x