14 November 2009

Breastfeeding Part 6: Unassisted!

Yesterday was a super big day for Aeralind: she took two meals without a nipple shield! This is a super accomplishment for the child who could barely manage to suck a meal out of a bottle her first week of life! We're finally getting there. She'll only do it though if she's super hungry and screaming. And I can only manage it on my right side because somehow latching her and balancing her sister on the tandem pillow is just beyond my capabilities at this moment. I'll keep trying.

Oh and yesterday was the first day where I nursed them for every single feeding in the 24 hour period! Derek and I had been bottle feeding them their 3 am feeding while I pumped simultaneously. Well, the tandem feed in the middle of the night actually took less time and was especially fun because Derek changed both the diapers while I got set up ;)

On the milk allergy/sensitivity front, today was a varied and yummy diet!
  • Breakfast: Raisin Bran and Almond Milk. Almond milk is actually yummier than soy in my opinion.
  • Lunch: Papa John's The Meats Pizza with no cheese. Neither their crust nor their sauce has any milk product in it. I was super excited to read this as Papa John's is my favorite pizza place (even though we hardly ever order out).
  • Dinner: Salmon, sweet potato, and braised brussel sprouts.
  • Dessert: Pumpkin and vegan chocolate chip cookies. Without butter, these cookies are very much like cake. I'm affectionately dubbing them "Cakies". Mmm...
So eating dairy-free isn't shaping up to be as bad as I feared, but the snacking in between meals is super hard. I made a bunch of muffins, but I really don't know what else to eat for snacks besides trail mixes, granola bars, and fruit. Please leave a comment with some suggestions if you can think of some!

2 comments:

Melissa G said...

Yum, everything sounds yummy! How was the pizza without cheese though? That would be hard for me.

And i love the pictures of the girls with their eyes open! SO cute!

And GREAT job on the breastfeeding! It sounds like all your hard work is paying off! =)

Melissa Ann said...

The pizza was really really good! In fact, if I were the dieting type that would be my #1 diet food. After all eating pizza without cheese cuts out tons of fat... :-p