11 March 2011

The Woman who Fears the LORD: True Beauty Conversations

Julia and I are exploring the meaning of Beauty, intersecting Beauty with the word of God, and letting Beauty live in our lives. Inspired by a joint feeling of just not measuring up in the beauty category, we're tackling some hard questions:
  • What is Beauty? And does it reside in me?
  • And when my husband says that I’m beautiful, how can I receive those words as truth in a culture that says the opposite?
  • What am I going to teach my daughters about Beauty?
  • And most importantly, what does the Word of God say about Beauty?

Join us as we converse about a topic that touches the heart of all women.
__________________________________________________________________________
Dearest Julia,
As you know, I am a first generation Christian.  No one else in my family has a personal grace filled relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.  My parents are wonderful hard-working people who reared me (an independent strong-willed know it all) to the best of their very loving ability.

But they did not know the Lord. They were not able to preach the gospel to me with lives and words.

So as a first-generation Christian, I often stumble on scripture and have no clue how it should look in practice.  Sometimes it's a cultural problem: I don't understand the cultural context surrounding the passage. Other times I stumble because a passage seems completely impossible to live out: I'm over come by self-condemnation.

When you wrote that you wanted to have conversations with your daughters that showed them:

"What it means to be beautiful.
Who we think is beautiful.
What it is about that individual that makes them beautiful."

I suddenly began thinking about one of those passages that I have stumbled on both culturally and with self-condemnation.  The passage that I did not want to be the one to address during this series came into a sudden focus.

__________________________________________________________________________
Read the rest of this post here.

No comments: