02 February 2010

Milk Allergic/Sensitive Recipes: Chocolate Pudding

I needed chocolate today and I was all out of dairy-free chocolate chips (and a Whole Foods trip with two babies is beyond my comfort zone), so I modified a recipe for Chocolate Pudding from The Joy of Cooking.  It turned out great!

Chocolate Pudding
  • 2 1 oz squares semisweet Bakers chocolate (dairy free!)
  • 0 to 1/4 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you like chocolate)
  • 2 Cups milk substitute of your choice (I used almond)
  • 3 Tablespoons Corn or Arrowroot Starch
Instructions
  1. Melt chocolate squares over low heat
  2. Whisk in sugar if using.
  3. Whisk in 1 3/4 cup milk and turn up the heat slightly.
  4. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup milk with 3 Tablespoons corn starch
  5. When the chocolate mixture starts to get hot, add milk/starch mixture.
  6. Stir frequently until the mixture reaches your desired pudding texture.
  7. Pour into cups and chill in the refrigerator.

4 comments:

Christine Ashley said...

do you have more milk allergy recipes that you've found and loved? my boyfriend is lactose intolerant, and I will probably be cooking for him in the not-so-distant future. just wondering if you've had any outstanding ones!

Melissa Ann said...

If you click the Dairy-Free Recipes Label on the right side all my current recipes will come up. I add about one a week as I experiment or come across something amazing. I made something outstanding (and easy!) tonight besides the pudding that I'll be adding soon.

Christine Ashley said...

yeah, I saw that it was labeled right after I posted the comment and felt silly! thank you!

Jennifer said...

I have a recipe I used to love, when avocados still loved me back, that was chocolate pudding from avocados! It was fabulous! Mine was from Jessica Seinfeld's book but I've seen some online too.